Concrete Canvas® (CC)
Geosynthetic Cementitious Composite Mats
Concrete on a Roll!
Concrete Canvas® (CC) is part of a new class of construction material known as a Geosynthetic Cementitious Composite Mat (GCCM). A GCCM is a factory-assembled geosynthetic composite consisting of a cementitious layer contained within one or multiple layers of geosynthetic materials. The cementitious portion of the GCCM becomes hardened when properly hydrated to be used for erosion control and weed suppression.
Erosion Control Consultation
CC consists of a 3-dimensional fibre matrix containing a specially formulated dry cementitious mix. A PVC backing ensures the CC is completely waterproof. CC can be hydrated by spraying or full immersion in fresh or salt water. Once set, the fibres reinforce the cementitious mix, preventing crack propagation and providing a safe plastic failure mode. As a result, CC provides a thin, durable, water proof and lower carbon alternative to traditional concrete.
Essentially, it’s concrete on a roll and allows concrete construction without the need for plant or mixing equipment: just unroll and add water. CC is mainly used for erosion control to protect soil insfrastructure, concrete remediation, and weed supression applications.
Recently reformulated, Concrete Canvas® (CC ) comes in three thicknesses: 5, 7, and 11mm now referred to as CCT1™, CCT2™, and CCT3™ respectively. The new T- series replaces the original CC5™, CC8™, and CC13™.
This latest reformulation delivers an even superior product in the following key areas:
- LOWER CARBON: The new T-series has 33% less embodied carbon than standard CC, providing more than 60% savings when used to replace conventional poured concrete for erosion control applications*.
- HIGHER PERFORMANCE: The new T-series has 25% higher abrasion resistance providing longer-lasting protection in erosion control applications.
- ALIGNS WITH ASTM D8364 (Standard Specification for GCCM Materials): CC products are the first GCCMs to meet the International Specification Standard for GCCMs, ASTM D8364. The new T-series product range (CCT1™, CCT2™ & CCT3™) is engineered to align with the ASTM classification levels (Type I, II & III) to make specifying the right product even easier. Using the ASTM Specification Standard helps protect you as a specifier or customer ensuring you get the right product for the right application.
Concrete Canvas® is used across a range of sectors including mining, oil & gas, agriculture, and civil construction for a variety of applications. It comes in three formats, man-portable Batched Rolls, Bulk Rolls, and Wide Rolls.
Use the information below to determine which format specification and thickness to use for your application.
Benefits of Using Concrete Canvas® (CC)
- Quick to Install – CC can be laid at a rate of 200m2/hour, up to 10 times faster than conventional concrete solutions.
- Easy to Use – does not require heavy machinery to install and is available in man-portable batch rolls for easy transport to sites with limited access.
- Cost-Effective – quick and easy to install, Concrete Canvas® is more cost-effective than conventional concrete, with less logistical complexity.
- Eco-friendly – CC is a low-mass, low-carbon technology which uses up to 95% less material than standard concrete for many applications. A single pallet can cover the same area as two 17T mixer trucks, producing minimal waste.
- Long Lasting – CC offers up to 120 years of performance life for erosion control applications. Click here for the durability certificate.
Key Properties of Concrete Canvas® (CC)
- Waterproof – The PVC backing provides a waterproof alternative to traditional concrete, making infrastructure weather resistant.
- Strong – CC has a 24-hour compressive strength of 50MPa. With a three-dimensional fibre matrix, the strong fibre reinforcement of CC absorbs any impact affecting infrastructure, which prevents cracking and makes it completely safe.
- Durable – CC is 5x more abrasion resistant than standard concrete, has excellent chemical resistance, good weathering performance, and will not degrade in UV.
- Flexible – CC has good drape characteristics and will closely follow the ground profile and fit around existing infrastructure. Unset CC can be cut or tailored using basic hand tools.
Concrete Canvas® is used across a range of sectors including mining, oil & gas, agriculture and civil construction for a variety of applications.
- Channel/Ditch Lining
- Slope Protection and stabilization
- Bund Lining
- Concrete Remediation
- Weed Suppression
- Culvert Lining
- Outfall/Spillway Protection
- Gabion Protection
- Mining Vent Walls
- Pipe Protection
- Minor works.
- Restricted site access.
- Unavailability of plant.
- Stocking for reactive work.
- Man portable.
- Major works.
- Material efficient (zero waste).
- Cost efficient.
- Transport efficient.
- Staggered production and delivery for specific projects.
- Major works.
- Straight uniform channels of constant profile.
- Increased installation rates.
- Reduced jointing.
- Reduced ancillary requirement.