Industry Sector & Application:
Civil Infrastructure – Rail
Ashcroft, British Columbia
Prefabricated Geomembrane Panels (40mil LLDPE)
In this application, contaminated soil was being transported from a CN rail site in Ashcroft, BC, to a stockpile pad. Conveying the soil safely and efficiently was a top priority.
Soil located near railways are subject to contamination from a variety of substances including creosote, spilled or leaked liquids such as oil or gasoline, herbicides or pesticides, metals and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
Contaminated soil is hazardous to the environment and poses risk to local communities. When soil contamination occurs, removal of the contaminated soil is necessary to minimize exposure to the impacted region. In this application, a geomembrane was required to ensure the safe containment of soil.
What’s the Best Approach?
Titan’s Solution: Prefabricated Geomembranes
For this large project, the client had unique prefabricated panel requirements. Titan used the latest technology to meet unique design specifications and custom fabricate geomembrane panels that arrive on site pre-seamed.
In total, 150,694 SF (14,000 m2) of 40mil LLDPE geomembrane panels were prefabricated and installed to cover contaminated soil being transported from the rail site to a stockpile pad. Our crew used their experience and expertise to complete the job on time and on budget with uncompromising quality.
In-House Geosynthetics Fabrication Division
With established geosynthetic fabrication facilities in Canada and the US, Titan compliments its Supply and Installation Service with an in-house Geosynthetics Fabrication Division. We specialize in:
- Custom fabrication of geomembrane panels
- Custom fabrication of geotextile panels
- Specialty products for a wide variety of applications.
Our fabrication team uses the latest seaming and sewing technology and follows the highest quality assurance standards in the industry to deliver top-notch products.
Geosynthetic Installation Services
LLDPE geomembrane installation requires specialized welding equipment and must be installed by certified welding technicians to ensure its integrity and performance. Our fabrication team uses the latest seaming and sewing technology and follows the highest quality assurance and installation standards in the industry to deliver top-notch products.
Our geomembrane fabrication includes:
- Panels for environmental lining projects
- Panels for secondary containment system lining
- Floating covers for lagoons and ponds
- Baffle curtains to control water flow in water treatment or aquatic projects.
- Spill containment berms
- Pop-up containment units for temporary liquid storage or spill containment needs.
- Ballast tubes to prevent wind uplift in lining projects.
- Sand tubes for erosion control needs.
- Hems for geomembrane panels needing rope & chain configurations.
- Pipe boots (sloped and vertical) required in lining projects.
- Access ladders for steep sloped projects.
- Check valves for prevention of gas or water vapor accumulation under liner
- Gas/air vents for prevention of gas or water vapor accumulation under liner.
Our geotextile fabrication includes:
- Desludging tubes
- Dewatering bags
- Underlay panels for lining projects
Save Time and Money with Prefabricated Geomembrane Panels
Fabricated geomembranes are manufactured to the same quality standards as traditional geomembranes, but they have the unique advantages that significantly reduce installation time on site.
Fabricated geomembranes can be welded or fabricated in factory conditions to a custom panel size and then folded and re-rolled for delivery on the job site. There are many benefits to welding in factory conditions:
- Welding in controlled conditions versus in the field where temperature, wind, and sunlight is variable and unpredictable.
- Welding on a concrete floor for more consistent and higher strength seams versus welding on uneven subgrade on site.
- Factory-welded seams allow for higher quality installations and minimize the need for field seaming and testing.
- Fabricated geomembranes can be installed in a fraction of the time compared to geomembranes welded in the field.
Linear Low-Density Polyethylene (LLDPE) geomembrane is manufactured from virgin polyethylene resins. It offers flexibility, strength, durability and resistance to low temperature and UV exposure.
Key Benefits of LLDPE Geomembrane
- Rubber like flexibility to withstand direct folding and compound bending without damaging its integrity and performance.
- Easy to install without cutting.
- Comes in easy to manage 20mil 20’x100’ panels that can be deployed and tape welded with a high degree of success for urgent jobs. Also available in larger custom prefabricated panels for quicker deployment if required.
- Available in thicknesses ranging from 20mil to 80mil LLPDE depending on your requirements.
- 40mil and 60mil thickness can be both extrusion and wedge welded for larger applications.
Suitable Applications for LLDPE Geomembrane
- Irrigation ponds, canals, water reservoirs, & ditches
- Landfill cells, covers, and caps
- Wastewater lagoons and treatment plants
- Secondary containment systems
- Industrial containment
- Soil remediation projects
- Animal waste containment
- Mining heap leach & slag tailings ponds
- Golf course & decorative ponds
- Liquid storage tanks
- Brine & processed water applications
- Environmental containment
For detailed product specifications on LLDPE, download our spec sheets here:
Request Information or Get a Quote!
Explore what fabricated geomembranes can do for you. Request a project consultation below to discuss the best solution for your next project.
Would you rather discuss over the phone? Give us a call at 1-866-327-1957