Industry Sector & Application:
Grassy Lake, Alberta
Erosion and Sediment Control
In this application, 600 sq. m Concrete Canvas® (CC) 5mm bulk was installed at the St. Mary River Irrigation District (SMRID) in Grassy Lake, Alberta.
The original irrigation channel was lined with poured concrete which had been failing due to substrate slumping in certain areas. CC was chosen to be assessed in a test scenario case study by SMRID.
Advantages of Concrete Canvas®
CC had been considered for the irrigation channel in the past and it was determined that quantifiable results were needed to decide whether CC would be a wide-scale viable solution. Site access, cost of material, labour, adaptability to existing surface conditions were very important considerations.
Irrigation Channel Lining: The Technical Breakdown
The CC was installed over existing damaged concrete surface where cracks had previously been sealed by the SMRID. An anchor trench had been prepared to secure the cloth at the edges along with using 12” spikes. CC was then laid transversely, sealed with SikaFlex 1A and fixed with 1” SS self-tapping screws.
The CC was hydrated using a 500-gallon tank and hose with light pressure. The installation took approximately 8 hours to complete using 7 labourers and 1 excavator operator.
The St. Mary River Irrigation District considered this installation a success. They were pleased with the speed and simplicity of the installation.
What is Concrete Canvas ®?
Concrete Canvas ® is part of a new class of construction material known as a Geosynthetic Cementitious Composite Mat (GCCM). A GCCM is a factory-assembled geosynthetic composite consisting of a cementitious layer contained within one or multiple layers of geosynthetic materials. The cementitious portion of the GCCM becomes hardened when properly hydrated to be used for erosion control and weed suppression.
CC® is a flexible, concrete-filled impregnated fabric that hardens on hydration. Essentially, it’s concrete on a roll and allows concrete construction without the need for plant or mixing equipment: just add water. The product is typically used to replace conventional concrete (in-situ, precast, or sprayed) for erosion control, remediation, and construction applications.
Benefits of CC®
- Rapid Install – CC can be laid at a rate of 200m2/hour, up to 10 times faster than conventional concrete solutions.
- Easy to Use – CC is available in man portable batch rolls for applications with limited access. The concrete is pre-mixed so there is no need for mixing, measuring or compacting.
- Lower Project Costs – quick and easy to install, Concrete Canvas® is more cost-effective than conventional concrete, with less logistical complexity.
- Eco-friendly – CC is a low mass, low carbon technology which uses up to 95% less material than conventional concrete for many applications.
- Durability – CC offers up to 120 years of performance life. Click here for durability certificate.
Features of CC®
- Waterproof – The PVC backing on one surface of the CC ensures that the material has excellent impermeability.
- Strong – CC has a 24-hour compressive strength of 50MPa. The fibre reinforcement prevents cracking, absorbs energy from impacts and provides a stable failure mode.
- Durable – CC is twice as abrasion resistant as standard OPC concrete, has excellent chemical resistance, good weathering performance and will not degrade in UV.
- Flexible – CC has good drape characteristics and will closely follow the ground profile and fit around existing infrastructure. Unset CC can be cut or tailored using basic hand tools.
- Fire & Chemical Resistant – CC has excellent high temperature performance and has been tested for reaction to fire. It is also more resistant to aggressive compounds than standard OPC concrete.
Concrete Canvas ® is used across a range of sectors including mining, oil & gas, agriculture and civil construction for a variety of applications.
- Channel/Ditch Lining
- Slope Protection and stabilization
- Bund Lining
- Concrete Remediation
- Weed Suppression
- Culvert Lining
- Outfall/Spillway Protection
- Gabion Protection
- Mining Vent Walls
- Pipe Protection
Concrete Canvas ® comes in three formats, man-portable Batched Rolls, Bulk Rolls, and Wide Rolls.
- Minor works.
- Restricted site access.
- Unavailability of plant.
- Stocking for reactive work.
- Man portable.
- Major works.
- Material efficient (zero waste).
- Cost efficient.
- Transport efficient.
- Staggered production and delivery for specific projects.
- Major works.
- Straight uniform channels of constant profile.
- Increased installation rates.
- Reduced jointing.
- Reduced ancillary requirement.
All Titan product solutions are backed by comprehensive engineering and specialized technical support. Using the latest and advanced design software, we work with engineers and consultants all over the world.
Our skill sets go far beyond product supply and installation. We are happy to provide complimentary application specific preliminary designs. We can also provide detailed designing and working calculations including construction drawings, and crucial specification and installation details.
Explore what Concrete Canvas ® can do for you. Request a Project Consultation below to discuss the best solution for your next project.
Would you rather discuss over the phone? Give us a call at 1-866-327-1957