Industry Sector & Application:
XR-5® Reinforced Geomembrane
In this application, XR-5® Geomembrane and Geotextile Panels were used for the secondary containment of hydrocarbons at a hydroelectric logistics complex in Saskatchewan. The transformer storage area required 10,400 m2 of XR-5® Geomembrane and Geotextile Panels installed in a quick time frame.
The Main Challenge:
Secondary containment is essential in several industries to prevent the absorption of hazardous materials into to soil, air or water. Hydrocarbon exposure is harmful to humans and the environment, requiring a durable liner with high chemical resistance, puncture strength, flexibility and durability.
What’s the Best Approach?
The Conventional Solution
Concrete is a common solution selected by engineers for secondary containment applications. Although concrete offers a long performance life, it can experience cracking and allow leakage of dangerous materials. In addition, concrete requires specific subgrade conditions. It may not be suitable in some locations with chemically aggressive soils and remediating poor soils prior to construction of concrete can be costly.
Titan’s Solution: Fabricated Geomembranes
Reinforced geomembrane liners are a better option for secondary containment applications. They are cheaper to install than concrete and provide several structural and environmental benefits. For these reasons, XR-5® Geomembrane and Geotextile Panels were selected for this application.
Due to the scale of the project, fabricated panels were chosen to limit the time needed on site and increase the number of factory seams that could be executed in a controlled environment. This approach helped ensure the project was completed on time and under budget.
In-House Geosynthetics Fabrication Division
With established geosynthetic fabrication facilities in Canada and the US, Titan compliments its Supply and Installation Service with an in-house Geosynthetics Fabrication Division. We specialize in:
- Custom fabrication of geomembrane panels
- Custom fabrication of geotextile panels
- Specialty products for a wide variety of applications.
Our fabrication team uses the latest seaming and sewing technology and follows the highest quality assurance standards in the industry to deliver top-notch products.
Our geomembrane fabrication includes:
- Panels for environmental lining projects
- Panels for secondary containment system lining
- Floating covers for lagoons and ponds
- Baffle curtains to control water flow in water treatment or aquatic projects.
- Spill containment berms
- Pop-up containment units for temporary liquid storage or spill containment needs.
- Ballast tubes to prevent wind uplift in lining projects.
- Sand tubes for erosion control needs.
- Hems for geomembrane panels needing rope & chain configurations.
- Pipe boots (sloped and vertical) required in lining projects.
- Access ladders for steep sloped projects.
- Check valves for prevention of gas or water vapor accumulation under liner
- Gas/air vents for prevention of gas or water vapor accumulation under liner.
Our geotextile fabrication includes:
- Desludging tubes
- Dewatering bags
- Underlay panels for lining projects
Custom Fabricated Geomembrane Solution
Titan worked with the design engineer’s needs and constructed custom fabrication of the XR-5® geomembrane and geotextile panels for the entire footprint of the transformer storage area. Our fabrication team used the latest seaming and sewing technology with the highest quality assurance standards in the industry.
- Fabricated panels were chosen to limit the time needed on site and increase the number of factory seams that could be executed in a controlled environment.
- Delivery and installation of 111,945 SF (10,400m2) of material were completed in two days.
- Our crew used their experience and expertise to complete the job on time and on budget with uncompromising quality.
Why Choose Fabricated Geomembrane Panels?
Fabricated geomembranes are manufactured to the same quality standards as traditional geomembranes, but they have unique advantages that significantly reduce installation time on site.
Fabricated geomembranes can be welded or fabricated in factory conditions to a custom panel size and then folded and re-rolled for delivery on the job site. There are many benefits to welding in factory conditions:
- Welding in controlled conditions versus in the field where temperature, wind, and sunlight is variable and unpredictable.
- Welding on a concrete floor for more consistent and higher strength seams versus welding on uneven subgrade on site.
- Factory-welded seams allow for higher-quality installations and minimize the need for field seaming and testing.
- Fabricated geomembranes can be installed in a fraction of the time compared to geomembranes welded in the field.
XR-5® Reinforced Geomembrane
XR-5® Geomembranes are the most durable geomembranes on the market today. Successfully tested against 10 different ASTM standards, XR-5® Geomembranes are highly resistant to a broad range of chemical classes, including acids, oils, and methane.
XR-5® Geomembrane’s unique manufacturing process make it the best overall choice for a long-term containment solution. Threads are knitted into a heavy base cloth that is impregnated with a solution to prevent wicking and chemical attack. A unique ethylene copolymer coating is fused to the base fabric in a manner that fully prevents separation.
Key Benefits of XR® Reinforced Geomembranes
- Manufactured in the United States.
- Long-term resistance to UV radiation.
- Coating compounds bond molecularly when heat welded.
- Excellent stability and low thermal expansion-contraction properties.
- Capable of performing in the harshest, most difficult environments.
- Exhibits tensile strength and high resistance to puncturing.
- Available in 30mil and 40mil thicknesses.
- Available in factory panels up to 15,000 square feet.
Titan carries 3 variations of XR products:
- XR-5®: Superior UV and chemical resistance.
- XR-3®: Moderate chemical resistance.
- XR-PW ®: NSF 61 approved for potable water contact. Moderate chemical resistant requirements, such as stormwater and wastewater.
Request Information or Get a Quote!
Explore what fabricated geomembranes can do for you. Request a project consultation below to discuss the best solution for your next project.
Would you rather discuss over the phone? Give us a call at 1-866-327-1957