Concrete Canvas® (CC) is part of a new class of construction material known as a Geosynthetic Cementitious Composite Mat (GCCM). CC is unique to other options in the market. The only GCCM tested to rigorous ASTM D8364 standard and the most environmentally sustainable GCCM available, CC offers superior results.
Discover how CC is designed and manufactured to better understand the technical function of the material, and the significant volume of erosion control applications it’s suited for.
How is Concrete Canvas® Manufactured?
CC is manufactured in the UK using bespoke machinery designed by Concrete Canvas Ltd. A 3-dimensional synthetic fibre matrix is filled with a specially formulated dry cementitious blend before a PVC coating is added to one side.
3D Synthetic Fibre Matrix
The 3D synthetic fibre matrix reinforces the custom cement blend to provide strength, flexibility, and durability. It consists of a top layer of polyethylene and polypropylene yarns to allow water to reach the dry cementitious blend during the hydration process.
This 3D synthetic fibre matrix maintains the integrity of CC. Once set, it prevents cracking propagation
, and provides a safe plastic failure mode.
Custom Cement Blend
The custom cement blend is specially mixed to provide several benefits:
- Higher mechanical strength
- Low permeability
- Significant erosion and corrosion resistance
- Low pH
- Shorter setting time
PVC Membrane Coating
The PVC coating is added to one side of the material to ensure it is waterproof and resistant to the elements. This increases performance life and durability of CC after installation.
How Does Concrete Canvas® Work?
CC is easy and efficient to install. Suitable for on-site crews, no speciality installation methods are required.
- CC is unrolled into position and secured in place.
- The material is then hydrated.
- There is a 2-hour working window before setting begins, and in 24 hours the material hardens to service performance specifications.
CC can be hydrated by spraying or full immersion in fresh or salt water. Once set, the fibres reinforce the cementitious mix, preventing crack propagation and providing a safe plastic failure mode. As a result, CC provides a thin, durable, waterproof, and lower carbon alternative to traditional concrete.
Concrete Canvas® is used across a range of sectors including mining, oil & gas, agriculture, and civil construction for a variety of applications.
- Channel/Ditch Lining
- Slope Protection and stabilization
- Bund Lining
- Concrete Remediation
- Weed Suppression
- Culvert Lining
- Outfall/Spillway Protection
- Gabion Protection
- Mining Vent Walls
- Pipe Protection
The Importance of ASTM Standards for Erosion Control Applications
As the only GCCM that is tested to ASTM D8364 standards in the industry, CC offers unique benefits that make it the best choice for several applications across many industries. In 2021, ASTM D8364 ‘Standard Specification for GCCM materials’ was published and is an internationally recognized performance standard, specifying the minimum performance requirements for three types of GCCMs to provide differing levels of erosion protection.
When selecting GCCM materials for use on erosion control projects, it is crucial to specify using GCCM specific ASTM standards.
Benefits of Using Concrete Canvas®
- Quick to Install – CC can be laid at a rate of 200m2/hour, up to 10 times faster than conventional concrete solutions.
- Easy to Use – CC does not require heavy machinery to install and is available in man portable batch rolls for easy transport to sites with limited access.
- Cost-Effective – Quick and easy to install, Concrete Canvas® is more cost-effective than conventional concrete, with less logistical complexity.
- Eco-friendly – CC is a low mass, low carbon technology which uses up to 95% less material than standard concrete for many applications. A single pallet can cover the same area as two 17T mixer trucks, producing minimal waste.
- Long Lasting – CC offers up to 120 years of performance life for erosion control applications.
Eco-friendly options in engineering and construction have never been more important. For detailed environmental data on CC and its sustainable features, click here.
Key Properties of Concrete Canvas®
- Waterproof – The PVC backing provides a waterproof alternative to traditional concrete, making infrastructure weather resistant.
- Strong – CC has a 24-hour compressive strength of 50MPa. With a three-dimensional fibre matrix, the strong fibre reinforcement of CC absorbs any impact affecting infrastructure, which prevents cracking and makes it completely safe.
- Durable – CC is 5x more abrasion resistant than standard concrete, has excellent chemical resistance, good weathering performance and will not degrade in UV.
- Flexible – CC has good drape characteristics and will closely follow the ground profile and fit around existing infrastructure. Unset CC can be cut or tailored using basic hand tools.
Durability is essential for erosion control applications to ensure performance life and reduce maintenance costs. Review the CC Durability Certificate here.
Unsure how to spec Concrete Canvas® in your next design?
Let’s work together. Explore what Concrete Canvas® can do for you. Request a consultation using the form below.
If you already know your project requirements, click here to get a quote!