Industry Sector & Application:
Oil & Gas Solutions
Mount Vernon, Washington
Erosion and Sediment Control
In this application, Concrete Canvas ® GCCM* (CC) was used to protect and provide erosion prevention at a refinery site in Washington, USA.
Industry safety protocols state that berms must maintain a minimum height in order to provide effective secondary containment. Previously, asphalt had been used to protect the berm, however this incurred high maintenance costs due to re-coating every 5-7 years to repair cracking, as well as patch repair work throughout the year.
Higher Performing Solution
Shotcrete was considered but due to the performance of the existing shotcrete, along with the cost, was rejected. A HDPE liner was also
Concrete Canvas ® offers up to 120 years of performance life and requires little to no maintenance, promising significant cost savings. Additionally, CC offers hydrocarbon resistance to BS:14414, as well as UV resistance and weed suppression characteristics which suppress growth, reduce maintenance costs, and prevent the fire hazards that vegetation can pose. Concrete Canvas ® was the superior product option in this application.
Bund Lining Repair: The Technical Breakdown
Bulk rolls of CCT1™ were placed at the crest of the berm and unrolled down one side, and then the other. This process was repeated along the berm, with a 100mm overlap created between layers, which was sealed with Sika 1-A sealant, and screwed using 20mm self-tapping screws at 300mm intervals.
On the inside of the bund, the CC edges were placed into an anchor trench and captured with concrete paving. On the outer edges, masonry bolts were used to fi x the CC to the existing concrete infrastructure.
In areas where the bund had eroded to the extent it no longer met the height requirements, sandbags were used to fill any voids before the CC was deployed. Infrastructure such as pipework was easily accommodated due to the flexibility of CC; holes were cut for the pipes, and where needed, an extra layer of CC was fitted around them and sealed. The CC was hydrated using a high-volume mounted hose attached to a water hydrant.
- 5,200m2 of CCT1™ were installed by a team of 8 in just 7 days.
- The completion of this project has resulted in drastically reduced maintenance costs, improved impermeability and improved fire resistance of the berm.
- Infrastructure, corner details and pipe protrusions were simple to accommodate resulting in an easy and rapid install.
What is Concrete Canvas ®?
Concrete Canvas ® is part of a new class of construction material known as a Geosynthetic Cementitious Composite Mat (GCCM). A GCCM is a factory-assembled geosynthetic composite consisting of a cementitious layer contained within one or multiple layers of geosynthetic materials. The cementitious portion of the GCCM becomes hardened when properly hydrated to be used for erosion control and weed suppression.
CC® is a flexible, concrete-filled impregnated fabric that hardens on hydration. Essentially, it’s concrete on a roll and allows concrete construction without the need for plant or mixing equipment: just add water. The product is typically used to replace conventional concrete (in-situ, precast, or sprayed) for erosion control, remediation, and construction applications.
Benefits of CC®
- Rapid Install – CC can be laid at a rate of 200m2/hour, up to 10 times faster than conventional concrete solutions.
- Easy to Use – CC is available in man portable batch rolls for applications with limited access. The concrete is pre-mixed so there is no need for mixing, measuring or compacting.
- Lower Project Costs – quick and easy to install, Concrete Canvas® is more cost-effective than conventional concrete, with less logistical complexity.
- Eco-friendly – CC is a low mass, low carbon technology which uses up to 95% less material than conventional concrete for many applications.
- Durability – CC offers up to 120 years of performance life. Click here for durability certificate.
Features of CC®
- Waterproof – The PVC backing on one surface of the CC ensures that the material has excellent impermeability.
- Strong – CC has a 24-hour compressive strength of 50MPa. The fibre reinforcement prevents cracking, absorbs energy from impacts and provides a stable failure mode.
- Durable – CC is twice as abrasion resistant as standard OPC concrete, has excellent chemical resistance, good weathering performance and will not degrade in UV.
- Flexible – CC has good drape characteristics and will closely follow the ground profile and fit around existing infrastructure. Unset CC can be cut or tailored using basic hand tools.
- Fire & Chemical Resistant – CC has excellent high temperature performance and has been tested for reaction to fire. It is also more resistant to aggressive compounds than standard OPC concrete.
Concrete Canvas ® is used across a range of sectors including mining, oil & gas, agriculture and civil construction for a variety of applications.
- Channel/Ditch Lining
- Slope Protection and stabilization
- Bund Lining
- Concrete Remediation
- Weed Suppression
- Culvert Lining
- Outfall/Spillway Protection
- Gabion Protection
- Mining Vent Walls
- Pipe Protection
Concrete Canvas ® comes in three formats, man-portable Batched Rolls, Bulk Rolls, and Wide Rolls.
- Minor works.
- Restricted site access.
- Unavailability of plant.
- Stocking for reactive work.
- Man portable.
- Major works.
- Material efficient (zero waste).
- Cost efficient.
- Transport efficient.
- Staggered production and delivery for specific projects.
- Major works.
- Straight uniform channels of constant profile.
- Increased installation rates.
- Reduced jointing.
- Reduced ancillary requirement.
All Titan product solutions are backed by comprehensive engineering and specialized technical support. Using the latest and advanced design software, we work with engineers and consultants all over the world.
Our skill sets go far beyond product supply and installation. We are happy to provide complimentary application specific preliminary designs. We can also provide detailed designing and working calculations including construction drawings, and crucial specification and installation details.
Explore what Concrete Canvas ® can do for you. Request a Project Consultation below to discuss the best solution for your next project.
Would you rather discuss over the phone? Give us a call at 1-866-327-1957